What differentiates travertine from limestone is the fact that it is formed when the mineral rich waters of natural hot springs flow through limestone, causing carbon dioxide to be released, which in turn contributes to the porous nature of travertine.
Travertine is the perfect material for adding a fresh and modern, or rustic and homely look and feel to a premises. When polished, it has an appearance similar to marble, but at a much more affordable price. We stock and supply a variety of travertine products, including tiles, cladding and mosaics.
Selected travertine products are available in a variety of finishes, from rustic to modern and includes the following:
- Honed, which is a smooth, low-shine matte finish.
- Polished, which is a very smooth, shiny and reflective finish.
- Brushed, which is a slightly rough finish that adds texture to the product.
- Saw Cut, which is a very matte finish, more so than a honed finish.
- Tumbled, which is the most natural, ancient looking finish we have available. This finish is highly textured and has no shine, making it popular for outdoor use.
- Unfilled, which is a finish that leaves the travertine true to its’ naturally porous state.
- Filled, which is a finish where the naturally occurring holes in the travertine are filled with a hardener (such as cement or the dust created when cutting or honing the travertine).
We stock the most popular travertine colours available on the market today, which includes light grey, dark, pale cream, walnut, rustic red, ivory, silver like green, silver, rich coffee, golden and pastel beige tones.
Marble is a remarkable natural stone product that is extensively used as a building material , a sculpture medium and for many other purposes. This natural stone is actually a metamorphosed limestone, created when limestone is exposed to high pressures and temperatures.
Our marble products are available in a range of colours, and we will be glad to assist you in choosing the perfect colour that will suit your specific décor needs.
We also have three marble finishes that our customers are able to choose from, including:
- Polished, which is by far the most popular choice amongst our customers. Polished marble has an extremely smooth and shiny finish that creates a highly reflective sheen. When marble is polished, it gives the stone a distinct depth of colour that cannot otherwise be achieved.
- Honed, which is a finish slightly less buffed than polished marble. Honing marble gives it a smooth yet matte appearance.
- Brushed, which is a finish that leaves the surface of the marble slightly rough in texture with a matte appearance.
- Tumbled, a finish that is our most antique and natural available. This finish is highly textured and matte. Due to this finish, this appearance is very popular for outdoor areas.
- Leathered, a finishing process that delivers texture onto a marble surface, resulting in a matte appearance that is non-slip. A leathered finish facilitates ease of cleaning, with a pleasant feel to the surface. It’s both practical and stylish.
- Sandblasted, resulting in a surface that is rough, with a matte finish. Sandblasted marble is ideal for exterior use in high traffic areas.
With the variety of vein patterns, colours and finishes we have to offer, our customers are completely free to express their artistic side by choosing either complementing or contrasting marble products to decorate their homes or offices.
Our granite products are available in a variety of finishes, including:
- Leathered: Leathering is a finishing process that adds texture to granite surfaces, leaving it more matte in appearance and giving it a ‘non-slip’ surface. This finish makes the granite easy to clean and maintain and gives it a pleasant feel, making it both practical and stylish.
- Flamed: This finish is achieved by exposing the granite to intense flames. This causes the surface of the granite to burst and become rough in texture. This finish is particularly useful in outdoor settings where a non-slip surface is required. A flamed finish can be applied to most granite stones, however, some cannot be flamed.
- Honed: A honed finish is achieved when the surface of the granite is buffed to just below its most polished state. This creates a smooth yet dull appearance.
- Polished: A polished finish is achieved when the surface of the granite is buffed to its most refined stage. This results in a high shine finish that gives the stone a rich and elegant look, while at the same time enhancing the colour thereof.
Our sandstone range is available in a range of colour shades (greens, browns, pinks, golds and greys) and brings a unique look and feel to the table. It has a one-of-a-kind appearance and texture that is both practical and beautiful.
Its practicality comes from its durability and the fact that sandstone has a very textured, ‘non-slip’ surface (ideal for outdoor use), while its beauty stems from its tasteful muted colour spectrum and weathered patterns.
At Artmar, we stock and supply only the very best quality limestone, manufactured specifically for its high performance and refined look. Because we want only the best for our customers, we provide them with the best priced and highest quality limestone in the industry through sourcing directly from the quarry.