Artmar Projects Completed
Rustenburg Granite Steps | A unique and lasting design feature
The beauty of using natural stone for design applications, be it for commercial or residential requirements, is that it can be cut in whatever shape or size is required by the client. For this client, beautiful Rustenburg Granite slabs were cut into custom steps to create a one-of-a-kind staircase that complements the overall look and feel of this zen-like garden.
Rustenberg Granite is a dark granite, usually black, speckled with light grey and cream flakes throughout. It is one of the most popular granite types and is widely used across South Africa for assorted project applications. Its recommended uses include pavers, countertops, stair blocks, slabs, cobblestone, and many more.
Granite is one of the strongest and most durable natural stone materials available and has been used for construction and design purposes for centuries. Its longevity makes it ideal for in- and outdoor applications. To enhance the overall natural look of these steps, natural stone cladding was applied to the adjacent walls.
Why Artmar for Rustenburg Granite?
At Artmar, we have a wide range of high quality granite products available, including Santa Monica and Rustenburg granite, which can be manufactured into products required by our clients.
Whether you are looking to apply granite flooring, countertops, or something unique as a staircase, you can count on our team to provide you with durable stone options in a variety of colours, finishes and patterns. The most popular finishes for our range of granite products include the following:
- Leathered – a leathered finish is a textured finish that leaves the product with a matte finish. A leathered finish is easy to keep clean and maintain, and also provides a non-slip surface, making it ideal for flooring purposes, as well as for stairway blocks.
- Flamed – to achieve a flamed finish, the granite product is exposed to direct flames. The heat causes the surface to burst, creating a unique, rough texture. This finish is especially recommended for outdoor applications where a non-slip surface is required.
- Polished – to achieve a polished finish, the surface of the granite is buffed until a shine finish is attained. A polished look ensures a stylish and sophisticated finish, and it often enhances the colour of your granite product.
- Honed – a honed finish refers to a smooth, yet matte appearance. This is achieved by polishing the granite’s surface almost to its most polished state.
About caring for your Rustenburg granite installations:
Many property owners choose to install granite as part of their interior and exterior designs, not only for its beauty, but also its functionality and durability. Here, Rustenburg granite was applied as part of an exterior design, but this type of granite is also popular for indoor applications such as countertops, tiling, and more.
To keep your granite looking its absolute best for longer, it needs to be cared for, cleaned and maintained properly. Although granite is one of the most durable, there are specific steps to be followed when cleaning granite steps to ensure that you do not damage the surface. By following these steps, you can keep your steps clean without damaging the stone:
- Firstly, get rid of loose dirt on your granite step by using a broom or the hose attachment on your vacuum cleaner.
- To disinfect the steps, dilute a few caps of bleach into warm water. Wipe this mixture over the steps and then go over it with a dry cloth to prevent streaks from forming on the steps.
- After disinfecting the steps, wipe them with a mixture of water and mild dishwashing liquid. Make use of a sponge or rag to apply this mixture – no scrubbing is required.
- Next, rinse the steps by wiping up the soap with a clean cloth and water. Repeat until all soap residue is removed.
- To make sure that all excess water is removed, wipe your steps with a microfibre cloth.
- For a polished look, apply polish to your steps after the cleaning process. This is not necessary every time, but will add shine to your steps if done periodically.
At Artmar, our service does not end once you have purchased your natural stone products. We offer aftersales services to ensure that your stone installations are done correctly for a beautiful and lasting finish. We have also partnered with numerous service providers in the industry to supply quality adhesives, sealants and grouts that have been specifically created for the installation of stone materials.
To find out more about our installation and maintenance products, you are welcome to visit our Adhesives page. Alternatively, get in touch with our team to discuss your natural stone requirements.